Monday 29 April 2013

determined beats perfect

I wrote a post a while ago about being perfect. About how we try so hard ALL the time to be perfect, look perfect, act perfectly, not shout or get blemishes or cry at Masterchef or eat three pieces of Mich's amazing milk tart. And how it's so silly to be that way because it leads to decision paralysis. It stops us from loving ourselves and our lives.

Did I take any of my own advice? No. Don't be silly. But my hubby did. This is himself:

Photo by Estefania Romero

I am so unbelievably proud of him. After 4 tries, 5 YEARS he has passed his Board exam. The second last hurdle to becoming a CA. (The last exam, Board 2, can be written as many times as you like until you pass). This was the biggie. It was a relationship and life-defining exam. You'll think I'm exaggerating. I'm not. Nic has been writing this exam for our ENTIRE relationship.

I had the fortune of passing this exam on the first go. Some may say - perfectly. But I didn't learn from it (other than that auditing is mind-numbingly boring). I didn't grow into a stronger person, someone who now knows it's okay to ask for help. I didn't show grit and determination and an unwillingness to give up, even when looking down the barrel of failure. I didn't cry like a baby when I passed. It didn't change my life.

Lesson learned. God gives us failure to teach us something, even though we kick and scream and yell WHY ME!

Nicky, you are my hero.

New year fireworks in Jozi - BBC News

2 comments:

  1. I agree Kate
    Determined beats perfect.
    Great post.
    Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Don! Was so proud of Nic I just had to tell cyberspace :)

    ReplyDelete